Saturday, September 4, 2010

Positioning and Being Positioned

Hello my name is...
    Jacqueline
    Jacque
    Jax
    OLG
    Best Friend
  
Jacqueline- Jacqueline is my whole given, birth name. It is what I like to be called best. I use it to introduce myself, always.I use this name from a position of being true to myself and loving the name my parents gave me.  However, most times people shorten my name and call me Jacque, or mispronounce Jacqueline and say, "Jackalyn".

Jacque- Jacque is the name I was called all throughout my school years by friends, before I got to college. It comes from a the position of a young friend. It was easier at a young age for my friends to call me Jacque, rather than Jacqueline. Jacque is much more common. The disadvantage of Jacque is the uniqueness it takes away from my identity. This name is really only used with friends I have had since a young age, and new friends introduced by those old friends.

Jax- Jax is a position of sibling love and adoration. It is a title my brother, Adam gave me. It is a name only really used by he and his girlfriend. It gives me access to a special relationship with him.

OLG- Only Little Girl is a signature I established as a little girl. I have signed every note, letter, card, etc to my parents with this for as long as I can remember. It positions me as my parents only daughter. I use this name from a position of love, close relationship, and endearment. I use this name to achieve a special bond with my parents, and to ensure that they know I will always belong to them first above all; I will always need them as my parents.

Best Friend- Best Friend is a term that really means the most with my mom. It is something i use to both refer to her and her to myself. I hold this title very dear. It means we have a concrete trust, unbreakable reliability, and unconditional love for one another. It positions me as a person for my mother to lean on when she needs me, and smile with in times of joy. It positions me with access to a more adult world than my own, a different perspective on life. It also provides me with the position of a life-long friend that will always be there no matter what, without question. I use this name in all spaces to show our special relationship as both mother and daughter, and best friends. Maybe my example will encourage other young girls to build strong relationships with their own mothers.

Hello My Names Are Not...


Jacklyn- All my life, people have been pronouncing the name Jacqueline as Jacklyn. It comes from first, a place of frustration, and then just acceptance. Frustration not at others but at the fact that correcting them to me, feels rude. Instead I continue to let others call me by that name. It is used in places where people do not know me well, where I am unfamiliar. It positions me with the disadvantage of being an unknown to that crowd, or person. At the same time, it gives me the advantage to be whomever I choose in that particular  situation. I never use this name. It is a name only used by others.

No comments:

Post a Comment