Friday, August 27, 2010

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

   Have you ever read a book that told you information you felt so connected to, yet never knew about? The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was one of the greatest books I have ever read. Reading it this past summer, I was both entertained by the story and taught about a time in history and a group of people that to me never previously existed.
  The Holocaust was a horrific period in Europe's past. Being a Jew, I was always taught about the war and the effects it had on my ancestors. This book takes a look at an island outside England that is taken over by Nazis during this period, and the reading group they form that becomes more of a support system during the difficult times. I felt connected to the importance placed on how the individuals were with one another. Because so much of what I was taught had to do with family and staying together. The individuals presented in the story show how this event created a family, and the importance of sticking close to one another. I will remember this book for the love I came to have for the characters. Each individual gave such a unique take on the story, but the importance of connection and communal support never waned.
   The book made in a difference in my life broadening my exposure to Nazi control and the Holocaust.  Seeing how it effected even the smallest of places was crucial in my development of understanding the events of such an event. It encouraged me to further research the specifics on the Holocaust and Nazi take over, and the crevices of Europe so often forgotten about as being effected.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - seems like this is a great book. Do you own it? I am very interested! As a Jew as well, I feel like it is important to continue expanding my knowledge of the holocaust, as to not let the tragedies that occurred be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a Jew, but I had a similar experience when I read the book that influenced my life the most. I am Christian Syrian, and my family has also survived religious persecution. I'm glad I'm not the only one who posted a book with such deep personal connections.

    ReplyDelete